Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Blasted Notebook!

My office notebook/laptop is broken. The blasted thing can't get any power; I removed the battery then connected the power supply -- no good. I used the power supply of one of my colleagues here -- still no good. We know that it's not a problem on the two power supplies since we can use either on other laptops (same model and brand of course).

Good thing I at least managed to backup all of my work into a portable hard drive before the laptop lost all power. It was actually quite a race; I had to backup almost a gigabyte of data, while I'm seeing the bloody "empty battery" indicator flashing in the corner. I managed to save it before the battery was totally drained. Note: at full capacity, even if the battery/power indicator says it can survive for 4 hours, it can actually only just last about an hour... I guess that comes with the age; the laptop the company provided me is several years old.

We're pretty sure it's a power connector issue or something on the laptop. I checked with our service hotline who then contacted the laptop vendor since it's still under warranty. Then, the vendors called me up saying that since no replacement parts are available, they had to order it overseas and it will arrive in about 2 to 3 weeks!

If only I could wait that long. Oh well... I verified with them if they can just loan me another laptop, transfer my harddisk there, then use it until my laptop is fixed. I'll follow up with them tomorrow...

So in the meantime, I had more than enough time to fix my workplace; cleaned out the drawers, organized the shelves, even fastened loose notes into a single bundle. I also managed to find an old and unused 2007 organizer underneath the tons of debris. not much use in organizing since it's about a year too late, although now I at least have a decent-looking writing pad whenever I attend meetings. :) Hehe

Hopefully, I can get another laptop soon; I still have about a dozen tasks to do and no laptop to use. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment