Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas 2008: What we've been up to...

Can't seem to find enough time to post anything here. I'm either too tired from work... Or I'm too tired playing Vampire Wars! :)) Anyway, let's see what we've been doing the past week.....

A New Home....
The days before Christmas Day was very tiring for us because of the moving of our stuff from our old room to our new flat. The good thing is that our new home is only a few blocks away. The bad thing is that we have some things which are too heavy and bulky to carry -- case in point, our cabiet of five drawers, among other things. Luckily, we managed to acquire a trolley which, although quite small did the job just fine.

Transporting things was one thing. Reorganizing is another. Even after disposing a lot of stuff we don't need anymore, we still had so many things that it practically which are filling up our new home! I still can't get over the fact that we managed to stash all of these things in our much smaller room before! Maybe we have a pair of pants with bottomless pockets or a magical bag of holding somewhere. Hehehe :))

Work, work, work...
Unfortunately, though, I have work during Christmas and New Year. :( It's the sad part of being in the customer service industry AND being a newbie in the company.

Well actually, it's not that bad... I am on day shift during Christmas week, so I still managed to attend the Noche Buena with our friends here. The bad news is that I'm on night shift the entire New Year's Eve week... Which means, no food, no celebration, no fireworks... Not that there's any fireworks here... Well, actually, there are, but it's nothing compared to the "chaos" of New Year's Eve in the Philippines -- they simply can't do New Year's Eve the way we do them! So nothing much to miss really... At least that's what I tell to myself... Next year would be different! I'll make sure I get my vacation! Hehehe :))

And to top it off, I didn't get the straight four-days-off we normally would get; the Operations Manager called me up to cover for one of my colleagues who got sick. No one else was available so I thought I had no other choice. It's only later that I learned that I'm not obliged to cover for my colleague since I'm not the designated 24Hr Standby Person for this day. Oh well, just charge it to experience. I just think of it as a way of helping our team out. But next time, I know what to do. >:)

Well, there's one good thing here though: since it's the Holiday season and we are currently in a "change freeze", aside from the oocasional emergencies and emails, I have a lot of free time here at work. Where and when do you think I wrote this post, huh? :))

Watching more TV....
As per my last post, no new episodes to watch, so that's when marathon reruns come in handy. Just like this Friday: with nothing else to do, we watched the Monk Marathon in Star TV. We did not watch it straight, though. Every now and then, we switch to other channels such as TFC and AXN, so that we don't get, uhm, over-saturated with the Monk theme "It's a Jungle Out There". :)) It's actually a great show. Not sure why I didn't watch it all the time like I do with House, Heroes, and Chuck. I always find it fun to watch the not-so-perfect good guys trying to be, well, the good guys. Anyway, it's good to be able to watch the OC Adrian Monk again. That's another one in my list of favorite shows. :))

Well, in TFC I watch -- just like in Channel 2 back in Manila -- Deal or No Deal. It's only recently that I learned that they removed the cases containing more than 1M. Instead, they opted for the 5 cases containing 1M. Still a good deal -- best case scenario is if you reach the late game with all of the five 1M cases still up for grabs... Not sure if this scenario occurred already: the last two values left on the board are two 1M. Whoever get's that has got to be the luckiest guy out there!

And my favorite Discovery Channel show, Mythbusters! I never get to watch it on evening primetime -- usually it's because we're watching abother show in another channel. Well, during my dayoffs, I can always catch them at noon! I guess I missed a lot also -- didn't know that they replaced Iwahara with a girl -- sorry, didn't catch the name.

Christmas day itself and onwards...
Well, since there are only a few of us here left in SG -- most the others went back to Manila to spend the Holidays there -- we decided to have Noche Buena, potluck, gift-giving, etc in one place. I was the last one to arrive since I had work but still we managed to pull it off. I felt drowsy though, and I slept through most of it. :))

Also, Friday evening -- I guess since it's a weekend and everyone's still in a Christmasey mood, Cel and the gang visited us and they brought along their Magic Sing. :) Hehehe. [Note: Obviously, I didn't know at this time that I'm going to be on shift the next evening.] I was actually conscious at some point because we were really making a lot of noise; I'm not sure if we're disturbing our neighbors. Then again, it's Christmas, our time, our celebration. I don't mind them when they do all their stuff when it's their festival... I don't mind them when they make all that racket on some evenings whenever they play Mah Jongg. :)) Anyway, that's why we closed off our doors and windows anyway. :))

Play and Fun with the Laptop...
Well, I've finally signed up with Facebook, originally for the sole purpose of playing Vampire Wars. It was later when I learned that many of my colleagues -- particularly the ones who were once from Fujitsu -- are all in Facebook. :))

I also signed up for other similar games as well, but by far I enjoy Vampire Wars the most. I guess it shows, too; my character in Vampire Wars have much better stats than the other games. I have way more wins than losses and I have acquired all of the abilities and minions that are available on my current level. That's a good sign, I think; if ever you find yourself have trouble acquiring a minion or an ability, you are mostly doing something screwed up that you should not be doing. :))

Then when we can't do anything else -- i.e., we used up all of our character's energy, me and Che play a random map in Age of Mythology. Yep, the (not-so) old school strategy game. And in the newer laptops, the graphics is simply marvelous! :)) I guess it's been a while since I last played because I can't remember the build order to do a "rush" -- for the uninitiated, that's building a superior force to overpower an opponent in the early game, say, in the first five minutes. All I can remember is that you have to reach Age 2 ASAP -- that's the only age where you can actually create military units. Oh well, I don't want to look into GameFaqs or anything... I'll just play it over and over again to rediscover how that goes. :))

That's that, I guess. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

And as my shift is about to end, I'll get prepped to go back to sleep... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment