Sunday, June 08, 2008

Setting up R4DS from scratch

*** UPDATE ***
You may want to refer to the following updated post instead.
R4DS Initial Setup: Updated
*** END OF UPDATE ***







I've recently had problems with our R4DS. I've managed to get it back up again from scratch. I hope this guide helps people out there who wanted to rebuild/reimage their own R4DS from scratch as well...

Requirements:

* Your microSD - the bigger the capacity, the better;
* USB reader for the microSD (either using the mirco-SD to SD adapter and USB card reader or the MicroSD USB reader would do);
* Revolution for DS (R4DS)

Note: This guide is strictly for R4DS. M3 Simply is similar but I cannot guarantee that the steps would be the same. If someone can test using the steps here with the M3 Simply, please confirm then let us know the results.

Step 1: Install System Files.
Download the latest system files from the official R4DS website http://www.r4ds.com. As of this writing, the latest is Kernel update version 1.18.

Unzip the contents -- expecially the _system_ folder, _DS_MENU.DAT, and _DS_MSHL.NDS -- into the root directory of the microSD.

Step 2: Update MoonShell.
Depending on the version of the system kernel you downloaded, it may or may not have Moonshell copied in there as well. Whatever the case, I suggest install/update the latest version of moonshell. Aside from playing games, Moonshell enables your DS to play media files.

Download the software from the following URL: http://mdxonlinemirror.dyndns.org/moonshell/files/

As of thiw writing, I downloaded the latest version which is "moonshell171p1_with_dpgtools131.zip"

Plugin your microSD reader into your PC/laptop.

Unzip then run the Setup.exe.

It will automatically detect the drive where the microSD is connected. Click OK.

Now for the moonshell setup part:
*Configuration Files: Select moonshl.ini (full) is copied.
* ROM Files: Select R4TF R4(DS) - Revolution for DS only.
* Other configs: up to you :)

Click OK then wait for the setup to finish.

You should see the file MoonShell_R4TF_M3Simply-R4DS (MicroSD Card).nds and moonshl folder in the root directory.


And that's all you need! Those are the bare minimum configurations required to have your R4DS functioning. For additional customizations, read on...


Optional Step: Install DSOrganize
DSOrganize is one of the most popular homebrew organizer application for the Nintendo DS. It provides a calendar, drawing pad, todo list, address book, and web browser. Almost like a PDA, but not quite.

Download the DSOrganize file from http://www.dragonminded.com/?loc=ndsdev/DSOrganize.

Unzip first into your hard drive.

Since we're using R4DS, download also Custome exec_stub.bin file from the same URL above.

Replace the exec_stub.bin file in the DSOrganize/RESOURCES directory.

Copy the entire DSOrganize folder and DSOrganize.nds file into the root directory of the microSD.

I haven't played much with the DSOrganize plugins yet. When I do, I'll post an update.


Optional Step: Using Custom Themes

First, it is important to know how the images are mapped to which files first. So here's the rough description:

logo.bmp - Bootup top screen image;
icons.bmp - Bootup bottom/touchscreen image (i.e., "Play", "Media", or "Slot2");
bckgrd_1.bmp - the browser top screen background image;
bckgrd_2.bmp - the browser bottom/touchscreen background image;
gbaframe.bmp - the border used for GameBoy Advanced (GBA) games (slot 2).

Hence, when using a theme, you need to rename the images to their corresponding filenames above. (You wouldn't want the top and bottom screen images on the wrong screen, would you?)

IMPORTANT: The files should be copied into the _system_ folder.

When creating images, take note that (1) the image size should be 256x192, and (2) the file format should be a 24bit Bitmap (BMP).

If you prefer downloading instead of creating your own, search the web. I suggest the site http://www.ndsthemes.com/.

That's all for now. I'll just make additional posts if needed. :)

Thanks for reading!

10 comments:

  1. Basically, you need the R4DS and a microSD card.

    You load all of the required files and NDS roms into the microSD, then insert the microSD into the R4DS.

    Then, you insert the R4DS into the NDS slot-1, the same way you would insert a normal cartridge.

    Then turn on the NDS. That's it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    i try to find de 3 files you speak about, and i can't reach them...

    could you send these to me by mail ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I am having major problems trying to get my R4 card to work. I have followed everything it says on this site but as soon as I put in my R4 card into my DS it comes up with a black screen saying loading nothing will work please can someone help

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi plz_help,

    Try reformatting the microSD then try again..

    I've done the steps many times so I'm not sure what else to recommend you to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi plz_help,

    Just thought of something...

    I'll copy my existing files in my working microSD into another spare microSD I have.

    If that works, I'll upload the files online and you can copy it directly into your microSD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I can get is 'Loading...' after following relevant instructions, including formatting the MicroSD card.
    This is really frustrating, I would appreciate knowing if the files that you uploaded worked. Else another solution?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm getting the same as plz_help and Mark H. More interestingly, I took it to the shop where I bought it, and they made it work; but when I tried to update it (because some menus were in Chinese), black screen again.

    Today I'll go to the shop one more time and ask them what's up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, so my previous comment didn't even appear in the blog yet :-P but here's an update.

    It seems our “R4”s might be fake. Since the original R4 is already of dubious legality, it's hard to tell the fakes from the real thing. But of course the original kernel doesn't work on all the fakes.

    If the firmware that came in your CD works but the latest from the r4 website doesn't, then you have a fake. If you didn't get a CD at all (like me), then you have a fake.

    The solution is, apparently, to get an “alternative” firmware from here. If you have no way of figuring out which fake you have, then you'll just have to try a few until you get lucky...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work. I am looking for same kinda information from many days. thanks for sharing this stuff with us.

    ReplyDelete