Wednesday, June 25, 2008

R4DS: Can't find DS_MENU.DAT






Perhaps this is the most common problem for many users of R4DS. You simply need to download the latest kernel / system files from the official Revolution for DS website: http://www.r4ds.com/. Always download the latest version (unless there is a specific reason for which you cannot download this; in this case, please share what you've found out).

From the downloaded file, extract everything into the microSD. Just so you don't encounter any further problems, ensure that you have copied the following:

_system_ (this is a folder, the contents of which must all be copied as well);
_DS_MENU.DAT (the most probable reason you're reading this in the first place);
_DS_MSHL.NDS (well, you copied everything else, no need to omit this out).

You can check out my previous post regarding this (Setting up R4DS from scratch) as a reference in case you get into that tight spot in which you have no choice but to setup R4DS from scratch again. :)

5 comments:

  1. for some reason i get a error every time i go onto r4ds.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know.

    I'm not sure what's going on here. Haven't heard any news about why this is inaccessible all of a sudden.

    Anyway, in case you don't have the files, check my last post here: http://raabad.blogspot.com/2008/07/r4ds-initial-setup-updated.html.

    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. do i get ds_menu.dat from because i have looked on r4ds.com and i cant find it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have downloaded the latest version for my card, put them straight onto the microSD card but when I turn the power on, there is still a blank screen with a red image saying "menu?"
    From there I can't do anything else! Am I doing something wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anonymous: the file from r4ds site is a rar file. The .dat file your looking for is there.

    @Kipi: Haven't seen that problem before. Maybe you are doing something wrong. You can always try again. Are you sure you followed the instructions exactly?

    If all else fails, download the working files that I have in one of my other posts here: http://raabad.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-working-r4ds-files.html

    ReplyDelete