Saturday, October 13, 2007

Landfills kill the land around Metro Manila

I guess Saturday mornings with heavy rain is conducive for reading news online. Here's another news article about the new landfill in Rizal.

I've never been a fan of landfills. It's never a good, long-term solution to garbage. I mean, you are not actually "disposing" the garbage; you're simply "collecting" them in one humongous pit, land which could have otherwise been used more effectively -- housing, farmland, even malls, whatever. Landfills are practically worthless and it also lowers the land value of all the lands around it as well. Not a very wise decision, if you ask me.

I've played SimCity 3000 (yes the old "3000" version one) since it came out years ago. One of the main goals I target there is to have incinerators in the city for two reasons (1) it eliminates garbage problem of my city in no time, and (2) it generates tons of money (neighboring cities send their garbage for a price to my city to dispose of it). The problem, of course, is air pollution. So, I configured the city to develop "environment-friendly technologies". It takes some time, though, and the air pollution is not totally eliminated. Well, I had to chose between air pollution (money-generating incinerators) and garbage/land pollution (land-value-lowering landfills). I always go for the air pollution. :-)

Not sure if it's applicable in the real-world scenario though. What do you think? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment