Tuesday, September 30, 2008

China Milk Scandal - Recalled products in Singapore

While the US is facing economic struggles, the rest of Asia is alarmed with the Milk scandal in China.

In case you've been disconnected from the outside world for the last month, you would know that many milk / dairy products from China have been tainted with melamine, which is said to cause tumors or such. And in recent weeks, traces of this substance is found in many products from China.

The following is a list of some products which have been recalled in Singapore in light of the melamine scare. (Note that this is best effort only. If anyone has a comprehensive list, let me know):

1. M&M
2. Snickers
3. Mento's Yoghurt Bottle
4. Dove Chocolate
5. Oreo Wafer Sticks
6. Dutchlady Sterilised Milk
7. Wall's all natural mango
8. Mini Poppers Ice Cream
9. Magnum Ice Cream
10. Moo Sandwich Ice Cream
11. Mini Cornetto
12. Youcan Ice Cream

And just earlier today, Cadbury will be pulling their products from the shelves after melamine traces have been found in their products. See the news here.

Personally, I'm shaken by the recall of Snickers, which is my favorite snack. If it's not that expensive, I might have bought a whole pack and ate it myself. Anyway, the only shining ray of hope for me is with Guardian where I found Snickers but are manufactured in Australia (I think). Still, I'd likely stick with the wheat bread for the next few months...

2 comments:

  1. It's a terrible tragedy. Is it carelessness? It is persons/organisations of no integrity? There is enough suffering in the world without industry making it worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure at this point. As far as I know, the Health minister (or its equivalent; don't know exactly what it's called) of China was sacked shortly after the scandal broke out.

    Yeah... One screwup and the entire world gets affected. Worse still I think, babies are the very first casualties...

    ReplyDelete