Friday, November 30, 2007

Nailed two tasks!

I've been busy for most of the week, having two emergency tasks hounding me for the last two days. Both are network down issues which rendered one classroom (yeah, some classrooms require networked PCs) and one notebook (NB) support center useless.

The classroom issue, after checking the Cat6500 switch module, was determined to be a hardware issue. It's actually easy, since I can't do much of anything here unless the replacement arrived - bad thing is, my team lead kept the pressure on, which is understandable, since all classes in that room for that day -- there were about 8 in all -- had to be rescheduled or lined up on the other working classrooms.

The NB support center issue was more troublesome for several reasons; perhaps the most significant being that these devices can only be accessed via console. No remote access, so I had to go down one floor, move around the tables to open the backside (lol!) of the wiring cabinet, attach the console cable. Someone apparently has messed up the configs since none of the supposed username/passwords worked.

By the afternoon, things started to swing in my favor again; I managed to recover the password and fix the config (by copying over the config of the twin device, which I had to recover the password manually as well). Shortly after that, the replacement module for the classroom issue arrived as well. After about 30 minutes waiting for the vendor technician to remove and replace the module and all the attached ports, problem solved!

Although I still have two outstanding tasks, it's a good feeling, having accomplished something after a stessful week. It's been a while since I last had this great sense of achievement since my last job. I just hope I fare much much better once I'm the duty Network Engineer this Monday. Ach!

No comments:

Post a Comment