Saturday, April 23, 2011

Reliving the Passion of the Christ

Not sure what got into us, but we just decided to watch The Passion of the Christ this Good Friday. Guess it's timely and we really didn't have anything else at hand that fit te occassion.

At a certain point -- when the brutality peaked a new high -- it all came back rushing to me. I remember the time we watched this years ago at the movies. I cringed, felt numb all over, and my body agonizing at the bloody scenes my tear-drenched eyes are witnessing.

I guess the most violent scene -- when I was "hit" the hardest -- was the flagelation of Jesus by the Roman soldiers. He was stripped down and chained to a stone then the soldiers lashed out at his back with sticks left and right. Not happy with that, they turned to the flails with metal spikes and... well, guess you all know what happened. By the time the movie ended, my ribs still felt funny in a way and from my knees down to my feet are still numb. It took me a while to recover from that.

I watched some violent movies before but all of them paled in comparison to the brutality in that scene. Somehow I wondered why I forgot that and wanted to watch this movie again. Not sure if I'm ever gonna watch this again. Perhaps I will, but it's not gonna be anytime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment