Saturday, May 03, 2008

My Bangkok Getaway!

As per my last post, April was bad for me.

I was sooooooo sick of my work, that all it took was one SMS from Che and I booked a flight to Bangkok!

Che was also having a hard time at the customer's site in Bangkok that she kept texting me to book a flight and go there -- as always, since she the first time she was sent there. She never expected me to actually book a flight and go there. She just wanted a little bit of comfort since her work there is also *ahem* a "winner"! Imagine her surprise when I said that okay, I would go there. The next couple of messages were my flight booking notifications I forwarded to her.

I know, I know... This is no different from impulsive buying... But at least now, I understand possibly one of the factors why people become impulsive buyers in the first place. At that time I didn't care. I just wanted to get out.

BTW, it's not just any airline. I booked a Singapore Airlines seat. I figured this is the only opportunity I had to fly on a more decent flight. [I've always flown cheaper ones like Cebu Pacific and Jetstar.] Well, the flight did not disappoint. Seats are larger and much more comfortable. I opted for the movie National Treasure 2 as my entertainment me during the flight. The served lunch was also great. The aircrew were nice and very accomodating.

It turns out that Thailand would be celebrating the Thai New Year, a three-day holiday starting the following Monday. Too bad I had to leave on the preceding Sunday, but that's okay. I enjoyed every minute of my stay there! :)

Since there was no actual plan here, we didn't see any of the tourist destinations there, except for one - the Chatuchak (or Jatujak) Market.



Bunch of clothes, trinkets, and pets for sale. We spent several hours there but managed to go around only the south-eastern section of the market. The place was just too damn large! I'm glad Che had a blast buying stuff for home. Me, well aside from my aching feet, I had fun as well. :)

Aside from that, we decided to go to Siam Paragon, one of the got-to-see malls in Bangkok. To get there, we had to take the MRT from the hotel. Not much to do there, just our typical day in the mall. Just different places, different brands, different food, and people talk to us in their local dialect -- to which we reply mai ko jai -- not sure exactly how it's written but that's what it sounded like. It means "I don't understand". Hehehe :)

BTW, while Bangkok is similar to Manila in so many ways, what separates Bangkok from Manila is the train system. Bangkok's MRT, while may not be as efficient as that of Singapore, is simply much better than the MRT systems in Manila. The Bangkok MRT system is clean, well-maintained, and although there is certainly room for improvement, it is nevertheless effecient.
So anyway, moving on...

By Sunday afernoon, we were back in Singapore. We rode on two separate flights -- hers was a Singapore Airline flight at 1PM, while mine was a JetStar flight at 9AM. Reason for different flights? Her company reserved her for that flight. I, on the otherhand, just booked on impulse (as I explained earlier). That was the only available flight available to me for that day.

By the time I returned to Singapore, I learned that my sister was also here with her family. They were planning their own "Amazing Race", arriving in Singapore that Sunday, then leaving for KL (Kuala Lumpur), Malaysia the next day via train. After doing some business in KL, they'd go to Thailand after which they would fly back to Manila. Go figure. :)

Anyway, we met them on Sunday evening and treated them to dinner in Marche (again) in VivoCity. But I guess, that's another post for another time.... :)

Thanks for reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment