Friday, May 23, 2008

Bookshelf update: Marvel 1602

It's been a while since I last updated my shelfari. Found a bunch of new features since I last logged in.... well, it's so long ago, I can't remember!

I decided to check it again when I just happen to be in the campus library when I came across the Marvel 1602 paperback (check my shelfari bookshelf below). I've had fun reading this before, and I have no problem reading it again!

Simply put, Marvel 1602 (due to some complicated cosmic plot I'd rather not discuss) the age of heroes (i.e., today, present time when all superheroes are about) was moved back four hundred years into the past, during the time of Queen Elizabeth I, King James of Scotland, the Spanish Inquisition, Templar Knights and the Crusades, the discovery of the New World.

We see Captain America as an (American) Indian, Nick Fury and Dr Strange as members of Queen Elizabeth's court; Magneto as the Spanish Grand Inquisitor hunting down mutants -- or witchbreed (Interesting to note is that Magneto here is a witchbreed in hiding); the witchbreed led by Carlos Javier (Prof. X.); Count Otto Von Doom the Handsome, ruler of Latveria; a young Peter Parquagh (Spider-Man) as Nick Fury's squire; Matt Murdoch (Daredevil), Nick Fury's agent; Thor and his alter-ego, Donal, the a hermit/Templar Knight and others.

If that does not convince you to read this, perhaps the name of the author will...the award-winnig English writer Neil Gaiman (The Sandman comics series, Stardust starring Robert De Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer, Claire Danes).

Gaiman's take on these superheroes and taking them back in time makes a particularly good read. At least for me, who likes reading history AND comics. And most especially, for those who are always ask "what if" about history.

No comments:

Post a Comment