Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Great weekend break!

Great, not because I was relaxing the entire break, but because of the things I've accomplished plus the great news.

The great news is, of course, our baby. No surprise there as to why it's great, is there? :)

As for my accomplishments, first of all, I've passed my certification exam... I badly needed that because without it, my current certification will expire which would mean my "market-value" would severly drop. Need this to keep up with others in my field. It's already hard as it is, so no wonder, I needed the extra edge that I can get. This is a big thorn on my side that I'm glad to be rid off!

With that, I only need to pass one more exam to obtain another certification. Two more exams, and I get my third. Real resume-builder, these certifications are.

Also, we were able to pass all our requirements for our PR (Permanent Resident) application. This has got me all worked up more than most people; I was able to collate the required documents only days before the appointment date! It was quite a risky gamble, considering that if our application was rejected, we had to wait another full year before we can apply again.

Why exactly do we need this? Well, for one, security. Worst case scenario, if I lose my job, I can still stay in Singapore. No pressure to look for a new job in case I decide to part ways with my current employer. Not that I'm planning of getting off my current employer mind you! It's waaaaaaaay much better than my previous job. ;)

Also, with the baby coming on the way, PRs enjoy better benefits than EP-holders. More maternity leave days entitlement, more discounts, etc. etc.

Lastly, being a PR forces us to have savings via CPF. First year is light, requiring only 5% of your salary. Second year, however, CPF contribution jumps to 15%, and on the third year onwards, 20%. Needless to say, our budget needs to be reviewed to account for these. Of course, in the end, you always get that back plus the contribution of the company.

I just think of it this way: in the Philippines, around 30% or almost a third of your salary goes to taxes; and where the hell does that go? Probably a blackhole, aka the pockets of those damned, corrupt BIR officials, congressmen, etc. At least here in Singapore, that 20% goes a long way. No surprise many Filipinos go here.

So that's that. A rewarding break. And now I need to go back to work. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment